Collections Trust: Object Entry, Acquisitions and Accessioning
This session will explore the management and documentation involved in the acquisition of objects, using the Spectrum 5.0 procedures as a framework.
How do you manage objects coming into your organisation? Do you have problems with unsolicited donations and what do you do with the stuff you don’t want? How can a clear collections development policy help your organisation? What should you consider in acquisition-related decision-making?
There will opportunities to discuss with colleagues, ask questions throughout and submit questions in advance.
This session will be delivered online via Zoom. It will last 2 hours, with a short break in the middle.
Booking priority will be given to non-NPO museums in Yorkshire and the Humber, and to one place per museum depending on demand.
If you have specific questions in mind, there is an opportunity to submit these with your booking details – please let us know.
By the end of the session, delegates will:
- Understand the role of the Spectrum standard, and its supporting guidance, in relation to museum Accreditation.
- Understand the Spectrum requirements for Object entry and Acquisition and accessioning procedures.
- Understand policy considerations for object entry and acquisition.
- Know where to find more information and guidance.
Before the session:
- If possible, read what Spectrum has to say about Object entry and Acquisition and accessioning – including the standard and suggested procedures.
- Think about how you do things in your museum, referring to your in-house procedural manual and collections development policy if you have access to them, although we appreciate you might not right now. You might also find it useful to have them with you to refer to during the session.