Briefing for event: Good Governance for Accreditation Mentors
• Existing Accreditation Mentors based in Yorkshire
• Existing Accreditation Mentors for a Yorkshire Museum
• Museum professionals based in Yorkshire who are new to mentoring/ have submitted expression of interest to become a mentor
Join MDY and Hilary McGowan for this one day workshop exploring museum governance for mentors.
This workshop will enable mentors to spot the early warning signs of unhealthy governance when observing Board meetings, and help them to know how to approach and support museums when they have concerns.
By the end of the session, you will:
· Know what good (and bad) governance looks like and be able to spot ‘red flags’ and common problems
· Be able to advise boards on how to keep refreshed
· Understand the challenges surrounding operating a Succession Plan
· and be able to support museums in creating and implementing one.
What you will take away:
· a checklist of what a good board looks like
· a toolkit to support open recruitment.
To enable discussion and plenty of time for Q&A, this session has a maximum capacity of 18 mentors. If you are unable to attend this date or the session is already fully booked, please let us know you’d like to attend a future session; if there’s enough demand we may be able to rerun it again at a later date.
Hilary McGowan is one of the UK’s leading consultants working in the cultural sector and specialises in supporting museums to find resilience and improve their governance. During her 35 years of practical experience Hilary has worked with more than 193 organisations of all types and sizes. www.hilarymcgowan.co.uk
Kirkroom, York Castle Museum
York Castle Museum, Tower Street, York, UK