#MyLocalMuseum Campaign – Extended 2nd February to 18th May 2021
Museums in Cumbria started a ‘My Local Museum’ social media campaign with weekly themes running from 2nd February to 30th March 2021. Museums across the country have been joining in each week and the numbers of people engaging is consistently growing.
The campaign has been extended and will now run until Tuesday 18th May.
The aims of the campaign are to:
- Keep existing visitors engaged with their local museum
- Promotion to engage new audiences
- Help museums and local communities to keep connected
- An opportunity to promote digital content museums may have developed
There will be weekly themes (see below) that can be interpreted in many ways to make it relevant for every museum. Content could include images of collections but is not restricted to this as some will have limited access to collections. It could be anything from the locality of the museum relating to the theme or a promotion of events, digital content, exhibitions or shop products. Browse museums’ posts on Twitter here.
Participating museums should also take the time to cross promote the content from other museums involved by liking/reposting/responding to each other’s content. They should use specific hashtag for the campaign, #MyLocalMuseum, but can also include any other local hashtags as appropriate, e.g. #YorkshireMuseums.
Content for the campaign should be posted by participating museums on Tuesdays using the following schedule of themes:
- 6th April – Dance and Music e.g. local music and dance, contemporary or historical music and dance
- 13th April – Hats and Hairdos e.g. haircuts through time, lockdown hair, statement hats
- 20th April – Friendship e.g. images of friendships, famous friendships, signs of friendship
- 27th April – Special Occasions e.g. weddings, events, dances, concerts, birthdays, anniversaries
- 4th May – Every Day’s a School Day! e.g. interesting facts, things you have recently learnt, images or memorabilia from local schools
- 11th May – What’s New? e.g. new exhibition/objects/events/online content, new shop merchandise, new staff or volunteers
- 18th May – Open Doors e.g. museum reopening, welcome back
Please take part on any social media platform your museum uses, as well as blogs. You do not need to commit to taking part every week – feel free to pick themes most relevant to your museum, or as many as your working time allows.
We can’t wait to see your contributions!